Monday, March 16, 2015

A Woman Out Of This World!

Early Life

    Sally Ride was born on May 26, 1951, Los Angles, California. She was raised in a suburban community of Encino in the San Fernando Valley. As a child she was always fascinated with exploration. For fun Sally always liked to run and play tennis. She also showed a major interest in science and mathematics. 


Career Star

     She then began her studies at Stanford University. She majored in Physics and English. She then got her masters and Ph. D in Physics. She found an ad in the newspaper from NASA searching for women astronauts, she then applied and became one out of six women accepted to train for NASA. She proved to be able to handle the mission and was chosen. She was then one of the first women to fly into space and work the robotics arm. She was one of the first women to ride into orbit on the STS-7. 


Death of Sally Ride

     Ride was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, she fought against it for a period of 17 months. Alas she died on July 23, 2012 in La Jolla, California at the young age of 61.

 

Inspiration

She inspires me because she suffered criticism from men who felt a women couldn't handle space. She proved them wrong and took a big step for womankind proving she too, can do a 'mans job'. Thus inspiring more firsts for women. 


Sally Ride Quotes

"I think it's important for little girls growing up, and young women, to have one in every walk of life. So from that point of of view, I'm proud to be a role model!" 

"The stars don't look bigger, but they do look brighter."
"I did not come to NASA to make history."

"All adventures, especially into new territory, are scary."
 



   

11 comments:

  1. Good job Janine! learned that Sally Ride was 1 our 6 women to be chosen to fly into space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned that Sally was one out of 6 to be chossen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that she was one of the first women to fly into space and work the robotics arm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pictures that give insight into all stages of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its very colorful and I learned a lot about Sally Ride

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned that Sally Ride was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer and fought against it for a period of 17 months. After reading this I believed that shes a strong women in history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING job Janine! I learned that Sally Ride was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and fought it for a period of 17 months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned that Sally Ride attended Stanford University.and i also learned that she died of Pancreatic Cancer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent blog design, I learned that despite criticism she was able to prove that women are just as strong and capable as men in any field.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was very informative! I did not know that she was the first woman in space

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete